The Importance of Breakfast
You have probably heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? But you aren’t hungry, you don’t have time, you don’t like breakfast foods… blah, blah, blah..
Whatever the excuse, you need to get that out of your head. So the main reasons why you need to eat breakfast are following:
1. To boost your metabolism
When you are sleeping, you metabolism slows down. When you wake up, you need your body to break that fasting sate and speed up your metabolism. If you are trying to lose weight or avoid weight gain, then you need to keep your metabolism as high as possible, and breakfast cannot be skipped. Studies have shown that breakfast eaters are more likely to have a lower BMI than non- breakfast eaters.
2. To have an overall healthier diet
People who eat breakfast are more less likely to over eat at night, and more likely to get eat adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals per day.
3. To increase your fiber intake
Breakfast is the perfect meal to boost your fiber intake. Many people are not getting the 25-35 grams of fiber recommended per day. With all of the healthy low sugar, high fiber, whole grain breads, cereals, oatmeals, available to you, it is prefect to make breakfast the chance to fit that fiber in.
4. To stay alert and concentrated
Eating breakfast may enhance your memory, improve cognitive ability and increase attention span. The reason for this is because of the more stable blood sugar that will occur in your body. If your blood sugar is low, you might be feeling tired, irritable and have difficulty paying attention. Eating first thing in the morning can help with these things as well as eating every few hours during the day. Keeping your blood sugar steady will also help keep you in a better mood!
Check out my list of “Best Breakfast Bets” for best breakfast choices
Random tips about breakfast foods:
- Egg yolks and nuts have a nutrient called choline. Choline is a nutrient that is important for the creation of memory cells! So this can help you to stay focused!
- Vitamin C, found in berries, grapefruit, oranges and other fruits and vegetables, is needed for brain neurotransmitters- great if you are trying to learn new things, and to help you remember tasks from the day before!